Thursday, January 5, 2017

Year In Running 2016

I had knee surgery in October of 2015.  It took awhile to recovery from that so I didn't start running outside again until May.  I did treadmill running, but that was just recovery from knee surgery and I don't have a good way to track it.  So, I'll do what I can.

I did 1 outdoor run in May in Austin and that was my last run in Austin.  When I moved to Denver, I ran a bit, but moving and traveling took up a lot of time.  Adjusting to the altitude wasn't that bad when doing long, slow distance, but doing anything with a higher heart rate definitely hurt.  I think I'm finally adjusted to the altitude now.  Well, I should be since I've been here for 7 months now.  I did some runs in the summer here in Denver.  They were great runs because the temperature wasn't too hot and it was nice and dry.  That's the reason why I moved here.  I did run at noon one day and got sunburned though.  Don't fuck with the sun up here.  I didn't have any real training plan though.  With the traveling and the great beer here, I ended up gaining some weight throughout the year.  I don't like that.  I got serious about getting back in shape the last few months and it is starting to pay off a bit.  My weight gain has stopped and I'm starting to feel better about myself.  I need to watch the diet closely though to make sure I start losing weight.  The goal for me, and always has been, 178.  I'll likely never reach it, but I gotta try.

In the end of 2016, I only ran 92 miles.  That's a bit disappointing, but knee surgery cramped that, but I'm glad I had the knee surgery.  It feels so much better now than prior to surgery.  I did run in some great places this year through while traveling:

* New York City
* Reykjavik
* Neskaupstadur, Iceland
* Belfast, Northern Ireland
* Galway, Ireland
* Killarney, Ireland
* Vancouver, Canada

Whenever I traveled, I tried to take my trail running shoes and do a short 3 mile run.  Although the quantity wasn't there this year, the scenery was.

For 2017, my immediate goal is to do cardio 6 days a week.  I need to get my cardio foundation, both endurance and speed, built up better.  This should also help with the weight loss as well.  In addition to the extreme cardio, I will be doing yoga and body weight exercises.  I'm backing off on strength exercises for awhile to focus on getting the weight down.  I also need to sign up for a race.  Once I'm employed again, I'll sign up for a 10K in the spring to give myself a goal.  I may also join a run group as well to help motivate me.

Here are my goals:
1) 10K in the spring
2) 178 pounds and maintain it
3) 11 pull ups
4) Handstand
5) 400 miles of running this year

2016 run mileage: 92 miles
Saucony mileage: 85 miles (all the non-home running was done in trail runners)

3 comments:

rohini said...

Excellent blog, I wish to share your post with my folks circle. It’s really helped me a lot, so keep sharing post like this
Selenium Training in Chennai | Selenium Training in Bangalore | Selenium Training in Pune

hami said...

Awesome..You have certainly explained
…Its very beneficial for me to recognise about new matters..Keep on blogging.

click here formore info.

Instaily Academy said...

Optimising React Native Apps: Crafting Efficient and Smooth User Interfaces

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here