Monday, December 21, 2009

Not 20+

Yeah, my goal of 20+ miles this week didn't happen. I was on track though, but once again, life got in the way. No excuses there; it's just what happened. The great thing this week was the Tuesday run workout at Rainbow Hill. We did the usual two legs forward, one leg back workout and I ended up running with Jo. Jo is a girl that weighs about 60lbs less than me, is super fast, and kicks me ass all of the time. At one point, we got to smack talking and I decided that my way of "punishing" her would be to hang on to her hip up a hill. Holy shit, I actually was able to stay with her. My lungs were about to come out of my ears, but I kept up with her up the hill and then pushed her on the downhill. I did this a couple of other times as well and it felt good. I needed this because I needed the push to hang with the fast guys and girls in the group. And it was a good workout for that. It was one of those breakthrough workouts.

For my Sunday run, I did the usual 2 small loops around Town Lake which is about 6.88 miles. I remember over the summer that some of these loops would take me about 56-58 minutes. It might've been the heat or just my fitness, but it was slow. Yesterday, I did the same loop in 51:38 for a pace of about 7:30/mile. And I was taking it pretty easy, too. It's nice to actually see progress.

Now, the big change for me. I bitch and complain about my weight a lot. I know that I'm bigger than the average athlete in both muscle, bone structure, and body fat. The first two I really can't do much about, but the third I can. For whatever reason, the diet that I was on wasn't working in regards to me losing weight. It just wasn't coming off so I decided that I needed to change things up and do something different. Before, I was doing a 60/20/20 diet for carbs/protein/fat. I'm changing it up to a 40/30/30 diet while avoiding wheat, corn, and sugar. The Three Bad Things won't be ZERO, but they'll be limited. I'll still get pizza, tortilla chips, and ice cream, but I'll get them a lot less now. The biggest change so far is no more cereal, bread, pasta, and granola bars. I'm trying to eat really natural foods, almost a paleo/primal diet. Lots of meat, eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. Nothing processed. So far, it has been a challenge trying to find new foods to eat and new recipes to try. I'm making it so far though. I think it'll be a good thing because I've already seen some results. I was down to 190.5 on Friday and I actually felt fit. Today, I weighed in at 193 but that was because of an unusual weekend of drinking 2 nights in a row and eating whatever I want. I'm back on this diet so we'll see some results. Ultimately, I want to get below 180, but the stretch goal is to get around 170. We'll see if I can get there, but I've made the biggest change that I can make, diet, and we'll see how long I'll keep up with it. It is tough though because it requires a lot of thinking and preparation for me meals now.

Weekly run mileage: 12.5 miles
Asics mileage: 81.5 miles

No comments:

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here