Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fuck! (stress fracture)

Here is the timeline:
Dec 26: Ran a 8.4 mile run for Tammy's birthday. I started feeling some soreness in my foot about 5.5 miles in. I did notice that the camber of the road was so that my right foot was higher than the left foot for pretty much the entire run.
Dec 27: Off
Dec 28: Off
Dec 29: Off
Dec 30: 4 mile run. Foot felt OK, but I could feel it.
Dec 31: 4 mile run. Foot felt OK, but I could feel it.
Jan 01: 8.5 miles of total running and I was feeling it a bit more during the runs and after it.
Jan 02: Toe was a bit sore but off from running.
Jan 03: 7 mile run. I was feeling the foot pain a bit more. It was sore afterward. Not good.
Jan 04: I woke up and my toe/metatarsal area was definitely hurting first thing in the morning. At this point, I knew there was a problem and I had to go see a PT to figure out what was going on.

Previously when I did my IM training, I had bruised metatarsals which felt very familiar to this injury. There were a few differences though. With the metatarsals, I would get the pain a bit on the foot strike and then a the beginning of the push off. With this one, I would get the pain towards the end of the push off. While at yoga on Monday night, I was feeling around on my toe and that was when I realized what was wrong. I felt around on my metatarsals and they didn't hurt. I went further up on my toe and that was hurting. It hurt both on the top and the bottom of the toe but not the joint, not the metatarsal, and not the middle toe bone. At that point, I knew what the likely injury was.

Talked to Phil on Tuesday and I said that I needed to come in and see him most likely. He agreed and I saw him on Friday. He did his exam and then said "I'll be back." He came back with the tuning fork and I knew I was right. He did the this is what it is suppose to feel like. Now, what do you feel when I do it to the hurting toe. I said I feel a sharp pain almost like a stabbing or tattoo needle pain in that toe. Then he said the words. Stress fracture. So, I have a suspected right 3rd proximal phalange stress fracture.

What does this mean? No running for 2-6 weeks as well as no elliptical. Weights, cycling, and swimming are OK. Also, I have to wear stiff soled shoes to minimize the amount of pressure on the bone and allow it to heal. No tennis shoes so I'm in hiking boots for at least 2 weeks before we reevaluate it. The toe is feeling better already though. I'm back to aquajogging which is not fun, but I gotta do it. Luckily, I'll take this as an opportunity to get in to the weight room more, back in the pool, and to take lots of spin classes with 2-3 water runs a week. So, 2010 is starting off not in a good way already.

No comments:

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here