Saturday, February 27, 2010

Wreck

I crashed my bike. I'm OK though. The next question is how did it happen? Well, I had stopped to adjust something on my bike. I started going again and I was in the back of the group. I was going to try to catch up with the guy in the front since he and I were of similar speeds. So, I stood up to accelerate and as soon as I started on my downstroke of my right leg, the chain skipped or popped off. You know the feeling that you get when you are walking up or down stairs and you are expecting one but it isn't there for some reason? Yeah, that's what I felt at that exact moment. The problem is that there are a few more laws of physics that come into play. I was completely off balance and started swerving? I swerved right, then left, and then right again. This time, the wheel turned perpendicular to my frame and over I went. I was thrown from the bike a bit because I didn't have the telltale bruising on the inside of my legs and I ended up with my feet caught in the brake pedals. I remember everything of the wreck and I even remember hitting the ground and my head whiplashing onto the asphalt. The impact caused my glasses to come off and go skidding along the road and I remember hearing that sound, too.

I just laid there for awhile to kind of assess the situation. I remember moving my hands and legs and they were fine. Since my head hit the ground, luckily I was wearing my helmet, I had a slight headache. The thing that hurt the most were my ribs and I had trouble breathing for awhile. I could feel the burn of road rash already and I was seeing blood, too. And my hip hurt. My riding buddies were on the scene by then and I just continue to lay there until I felt like getting up. A few people in cars stopped and asked if I was OK and I gave them a thumbs up.

So, I got up to assess the damage. It was by far my worst wreck in my life, but not bad compared to other wrecks I've seen. My money maker was OK, but I had road rash, cuts, and scrapes in 14 different spots. I was mobile and Alicia checked my pupils and there weren't dialated or anything like that. I just remember that if this happened to me as a kid, I would've been screaming and crying. Anyways, I had half a thought to continue on the ride, but since I was only 1 mile from my house with a cracked helmet, I just bagged the ride and went home. I told my friends to have a good ride. Then, I went home to lick my wounds.

Got home and my roommate helped me out. The bike was OK, surprisingly. The handlebars, saddle, and skewer got a bit of damage but luckily my body protected the bike. I cleaned my wounds in the shower and that wasn't exactly pleasant. I had someone around for the rest of the night in case any symptoms of head trauma presented themselves but I seemed to be OK. I got some bandages the next day and that really helped. I put 2nd Skin on my elbow because that had the worst road rash. It is in a part that moves and it was just very annoying. My shoulder and knee cap had Neosporin and large bandaids on them. My ribs and hip were pretty well bruised. Laughing hurt like hell for about 2 days and moving because of the hip wasn't pleasant either. Sleeping that first night wasn't fun.

Six days out and I'm feeling a lot better. My hip is still sore as well as my ribs. I'm done with bandages on the scrapes because they are heeling pretty well. Running and swimming are out, but I did the elliptical very easily yesterday. I could do a spin bike but I'm not ready to be back on the road. In case I need to make a sudden move, my ribs are going to hurt so I just need to protect myself. I am moving around very gingerly still which sucks but I've had an accident and I need to heel. I'll be better in about 2 more weeks and then I should be back to normal.

No comments:

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here