Saturday, April 14, 2007

New Max Heart Rate!

On Thursday's workout, I set a new max heart rate! Woohoo! The workout was a 20 minute warmup on the bike. Then, Jamie had us do 1-3 of a loop that was about 4 miles long, but there was a very tough climb for the first mile or so. Then it was about 1 mile trail run through puddles, steep dropoffs, rocks, and of course, a trail. The theme of the workout was pushing through mentally in inclement conditions. It was very windy and most Texans can't stand hills and the trail run wasn't a normal trail run. Usually in the Texas Iron workouts, I'm definitely not an A packer, but I'm usually the lead B packer and this workout also backed that up. I went out and quickly dropped almost all the other cyclists that left in the B pack. The climb was tough but I kept pushing myself. On the top of the climb, we headed downhill and it was straight into the wind. And I hammered through the wind. I really needed this mental toughness at the Galveston triathlon. I came in and did the run. As usual, I got dropped on the run but nothing surprising there. After the first loop, we had 4 minutes rest. The second loop was going to be my last so I went out a little harder. The climb got steeper as it went up and about 80% of the way up the climb, I looked at my HRM and I saw 184 on it. Holy shit, I haven't seen a number like that in about 2 years. When I did all of my lactic threshold and VO2 max testing, the most that I hit was 181-183 so hitting 184 in a real workout was quite impressive to me. What was more impressive was that I didn't crack when my heart rate hit that high. I just cooled it a bit and kept going hard up the hill. There were 2 more cyclists in front of me and I was going to pass them. I pushed harder into the head wind and kept playing leap frog with them. I finally got in front and get pushing hard to stay in front. Unfortunately, both of them passed me right before the transition area. I was right behind them on the run and they both dropped me on the run because I was freaking tired. After that loop, I checked my HRM and I averaged 172bpm for that 14 minute interval. Wow! Talk about some LT work for me. Did a 10 minute cooldown on the bike and that was the workout.

Today, I did about 1:15 on the trainer and a 3.15 mile neighborhood run. Nothing special. It was chilly and windy today so I didn't feel like getting outside. Yeah, I'm a wuss. Tomorrow, I have a long run though and I'm looking forward to that!

Shoe mileage: 290 miles

3 comments:

Dances with Corgis said...

1.) How come most Texans can't stand hills?

2.) Are you REALLY looking forward to your LR tomorrow or is my sarcasm meter busted? Either way, have a good one!

Me said...

1) Hills are tough, man! And you can't go as fast up hills as you can on flats. Also, Texas is pretty flat so we just aren't used to hills.

2) Yes, I'm seriously looking forward to my long run tommorow. I like running even though I suck at it and I feel like I get the best workouts from running. Plus, it's spring time here and a lot of hotties are out running as well ;-)

mcoker said...

Fatasses hate hills, and Texas is full of 'em... fatasses that is :-) Probably 'cause there are no hills!

I love the hills, but I'm a 90lb weakling.

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here