Saturday, August 26, 2006

Dehydrated

I went for a swim and a ride with Charles, Tiffany, and Mike this morning. We went for a longish swim. Total time was about 45min which is about 2400yds with some rest in there as well. That swim was probably the most comfortable open water swim that I've had in awhile.

We got on the road at about 8:15. As we headed out, it was fine. We turned east and had some crosswinds. We turned south and we hit a wall. The wind was absolutely brutal and demoralizing. I was trying to push, but I just couldn't go. Our plan was to do a 56 mile loop, go back to the cars to do a special needs stop, and then do another 56 mile loop. We got back to the cars and I was beat. There were no convenience stores along the way. The problem is that this is a 3 hour ride and I need 6 bottles of fluid or 2/hr. I only had 4, 3 with InfinIT and 1 with water. I thought I was going to be in trouble when I finished the 2nd bottle at about 1:20 into the ride and I was getting thirstier. By the special needs stop, I was dying for some water. Charles filled up his bottles and gave me the rest and I got about just over a bottle of water and he also gave me some Gatorade Endurance.

We headed back out and I was debating on whether or not to go back out. I was sick earlier this week and I think I might have not recovered. the wind beat the shit out of me. It was also getting hot, but I headed back out. At about Mile 62, I was starting to feel bad. I dropped back to ride with Tiff and Charles went ahead. I was starting to fade fast and I finally cracked at Mile 65. We took a right and headed into the Wall of Wind again. I was just done. I turned around and headed back by myself and faded even faster. I finally had to pull over and stop. My heartrate was elevated, I was getting a headache, I couldn't push any harder, and I was slightly lightheaded.

I'm pretty sure that I was dehydrated. I don't think I was bonking because I was taking in at least 300 calories per hour, but it was hot, probably 96+ at this point, and I wasn't drinking fluids. After I stopped in the shade, I peed a bit which was the first time that I peed the entire ride which was 4 hours into the ride. Even now which is 4 hours later, I still haven't peed again. I kept going and I stopped at a church to get some water from a faucet. I had one bottle almost immediately and then filled up 2 more bottles. My resting heartrate there was 95 at rest. Not good. I got on the bike and kept going. I figured I had about 15 miles to go and it wasn't going to be fun. It was hot, it was windy, and I was by myself. Also, my right calf was wanting to cramp a couple of times, but it never siezed up hard.

The last 15 miles were painful. I couldn't generate any power. I was doing everything to keep my legs turning over. I eventually got back and I wasn't feeling good the entire time, but I got back. I got in my car really quickly and headed out. I needed food and fluids. I stopped at HEB and got a turkey sandwich and some Gatorade. Like I said before, I'm at home now and I finished my ride about 3 hours ago. I lost 4 pounds during the ride and I haven't peed since then. I'm about to get some more water and try to rehydrate.

The next time I go out for that long, I'll make sure that I bring enough fluids. Other than that, the InfinIT only seemed to work. Also, my Desoto tri shorts tend to chaffe on my ass and not my crotch. I need to put some Chamois Buttr there next time. The bike rode fine after the incident last weekend.

And that's about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey no one cares about ur chaffed ass,ur a clown

Me said...

You're mean.

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here