Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Man, I gotta be quick because I have to go to bed to swim in the morning, but I had a great workout tonight. We met at Peace Park and after the warm up, we did 2x1.25 mile loops with 2min rest in between. We left on the first loop and about 4 of us took the lead. The 4 of us ended up finishing pretty close to each other but it quickly became obvious about our strengths. On the inclines, Chris blew everyone away. On the downhills, I blew everyone away. This course was hilly so it became a battle of who could do better at their strength and the others' weakness. I "won" the first loop and had a time of 9:35.4 for the 1.25 miles or so. That's a pace of 7:40min/mile which isn't bad for this hilly of a loop. Chris came in a few seconds behind me and then Matt a few behind that. We started off on the next loop and we were all gunning for each other. Chris made a move about half way up a long, medium grade hill and I stuck with him but a bit back. On the next downhill, I blew him away and carried the momentum up the next incline. He knew he had me beat on the incline so he powered up it and actually came by me pretty damn quickly. I picked up a gear and stuck with him about 4' off of him. We crested the hill and had a quarter mile descend. I put on some speed but at the end, he ended up catching me and passed about 6' in front of me. The last move up the hill worked because it burned me out enough that I didn't have much left on the descent. My time for the second loop was 9:36.9. After going balls out for 2 of these hillacious loops, I fell off only bet a second and a half. Most other people fell off by 10-20 seconds. Not bad.

I started figuring some things out though. I think I found the form that I need for descending. I've been working on it for awhile, but I think it clicked today. I had to because that was where I was going to put some time on the other guys and if I slowed down with bad form, they would catch me. Basically, I opened up my stride a bit, land on the front of my food and not the heel which will slow me down, and lean forward. Whenever I get tired, I get more of an upright posture and land on my heels. Not good. I just had a great time this workout because I pushed myself when I was feeling very slovenly.

The swim workout this morning was also great because I decided to throw some speed back into the workout. My supraspinatus was a bit fatigued, but it wasn't bothering me. I need to work on that a bit but the workout today were pretty good. A B on the swim with an A on the run.


New Balance mileage: 35.5

Remaining run miles: 20
Remaining swim meters 18,400

No comments:

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here