Sunday, June 24, 2007

3 minutes

3 minutes is the time from when I left my house yesterday morning on the bike until the time I was almost taken out by a car. I was just riding through my neighborhood and some !%&$# in a car cut my off by turning right in front of me. It wasn't that close, but she still came within 6' of my front tire. When I'm going 16mph, 6' really isn't that much distance.

I continued on my ride and I was just going easy. I'm still feeling sick from last week. Not really sick, but I don't have my full strength back yet, I'm always tired, I have a bit of a sore throat still, and I've had a mild headache since Wednesday. I kept going and the skies started getting gray. I turned around since my bike was nice and pretty from getting the new aerobars put on. I kept riding towards home and felt something strange on my skin. Is that, is that cool air? What? This is Texas in June. It should be at least 90 degrees now. What is this feeling of coolness? Apparently, I just crossed over a cold front. And what happens around cold fronts? Rain. It started raining, not hard, but I still got wet. I kept riding and then I heard the PSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH! I flatted. I had a big piece of glass in my tire. I found it almost immediately. I pulled it and started changing my tire. About half way through changing the tire, it started raining. Really raining. I was about 3 miles from my house so I just rode home and dried off. That was my workout on Saturday: a 55 minute bike ride with a flat, some rain, and a near run in with a car.

Sunday was my long run. I started out and I just didn't feel good. I was tired and my headache was weird. I would get jabbing pains about every other heel strike on the right side of my head. It also felt like I had fluid sloshing around in my head. Just weird. I was suppose to do a 90min run with 30 easy, 40 tempo, 20 easy. Since I was sick last week and not feeling great, I was only going to do 4.5 miles. I stopped at that point and sat down for a few minutes. I realized that I actually felt a lot better than when I started running. So, I did another 4.5 miles. I'm actually pretty glad that I kept going. I had already quit running for the day after my first lap, but I decided to keep going. I'm glad that I did. Like I said, I was SLOW today. Usually, I can run 8.2 miles in 1:12 or something like that. Today, I ran 9 miles in 1:28. You could say that it took me 16 minutes to run that extra 0.8 miles or I was just a slug butt (for me) today. I vote for the slug butt. I went to run a mile barefoot around the track, but I just didn't have it in me today.

Also, my right IT band and TFL were acting up again. My PF was bothering me a bit as well. I think it's time to go in and see my PT just to get checked up a bit and get these lingering problems taken care of before they get worse.

New Balance mileage: 32.5 miles
Nike mileage: 48.5 miles
Weekly run mileage: 14 miles

5 comments:

mcoker said...

Damn, reading this makes me so glad I'm not training all the time anymore :-P

Glad you're still alive from the close call!

-Brandon said...

Do you ever get in a full week of training? Just wondering as it seems like you're always sick, injured, or laying tile!!! (insert internet sarcasm here!)

Take care of that PF, ITB, TFL. Chilling out with the barefoot stuff in the meantime is probably a good idea until you are a pretty much pain free. Then I'd ease into it using Nike Frees or a racing flat of some sort.

Me said...

There are definitely times I wish I was more casual about training but I tend to do most things 100% or not at all. I do really, really enjoy training and stuff but it does get in the way sometimes. And that leads into Brandon's comment. I try to get in full weeks of training in, but I won't miss out on other things in life for training anymore. I did that too much last year and this year and I want to be more well rounded. And I haven't been injured much this year. Just sick or sick of laying tile! ;-) I can't wait until my bathroom is done so I don't have to worry about it. While I say that, I'm sitting on my couch following IMCDA coverage and looking for recs for a new digicam when I could be cutting tile.

A Margarita said...

Wow, reading your blog makes me motivated to actually log my miles and focus on my tempo and speed workouts. I usually go with the flow. Good job.

Me said...

a margarita, you should keep track of your miles. It'll help you see your progress as you become a better runner whether it's increased distance or increased speed. Also, the tempo and speed workouts are the things that really make you faster. But to put a Slowtwitcher. Speed work is icing. You can't have icing until you have cake (base work).

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here