Monday, January 1, 2007

Update

Let's see, Thursday was an off day. Friday was a 2.5 mile run. Saturday was a 30 mile bike ride with ATC. Sunday was a 3 mile run. The runs are going OK. I'm keeping my heart rate in the 130-140 range and I'm doing about 10min/mile. I wish I was running faster though. It's hard to keep my heart rate that low though because I feel really slow. I may do an experiment soon and go out and run at a heart rate of 160bpm for 3 miles and see what my pace is from that. Nothing is hurting when I run though.

The bike ride was tough. The group goes out too quickly for me since I'm not warmed up. During the second half of the ride, I'm riding strong and at that point I think I could hang with the group. Next weekend will be an experiment where I ride my bike to the ATC ride to get warmed up first.

3 comments:

Dances with Corgis said...

Your heartrate zones are so LOW!! What's you're mile pace for that? If I were to do a 130, I think I would have to walk. Clearly, you are an athletically superior being :)

Chad said...

Interesting, that your picking your pace to hold your heart rate low. I can't do that, I would be too distracted - how do you handle hills?

How did you pick 130-140? Were you aiming for a percentage of max heart rate? Have you ever had your max heart rate measured?

Good luck with your running this year, sounds like you are off to a good start!!!

Me said...

At 130bpm, I'm running about 10min/mile. Not fast for me. I usually do half marathons in the 155-165 range with a max around 185-190. I like running at around 155bpm but I'm trying different running strategies this winter. What I'm doing now is trying to keep my heart rate about the same but run faster by developing better efficiency and fitness. I would love to run 8:00-8:30min/mile at 130bpm but I'm really far away from that. I picked that zone because it just seemed right. Like what Jodi recently did, I'm trying to run faster by running slower. I'm also trying to avoid injuries that have plagued me my entire athletic career.

Hills are a little difficult and I either take them really slow or I just spike my heart rate and settle down at the top of the hill. The routes that I'm running now are pancake flat so hills aren't a problem.

I just estimated my max. In college, I saw it around 190-195 while running and it's probably dropped a couple of beats in 3 years. I've seen as high as 188 on the bike though and that shocked me. One of these days I need to find my max but now I guestimate that it's 190.

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here