Friday, March 16, 2007

Update

I can't believe I haven't updated all week. Life has been crazy with work and house stuff. I just want to say that it feels good to feel like you are totally kicking ass at your job. However, it is getting in the way of more important stuff like working out.

Monday was a rest day. I really needed it. My hamstring was bothering me after last Sunday's run. I tried to get some good sleep as well, too.

Tuesday was just a swim with T3. It was a good swim. I hate paddles, though. I felt like a one legged duck swimming with them. I was in the faster lane and I could keep up with them swimming, but they lapped me doing paddles. Also, my shoulder was starting to bother me. I really need to do some PT exercises to get this from getting worse.

Wednesday was suppose to be a bike ride, but work got in the way. I just never got around to it.

Thursday was a run after work with Texas Iron. It was hot! It was something over 80 degrees and I'm just not quite used to that yet. I'll get there though. After the warmup, it was a track workout. Each interval was 2 laps around the track. First 400 was at 10K pace, next 200 was building up to a 5K pace, last 200 was easy. We were suppose to do 5-8 of them, but I only did 5 of them. My right hamstring was letting me know that it wasn't happy. It was getting worse as I ran. I also started out a little too fast and fell off towards the end of the run. The intervals were 2:14, 2:32, 2:30, 2:38, and 2:35. Ok, except for the first one, I was pretty consistent. My max heart rate for the entire run was 179 even though I was pushing it at the end of a few of those intervals. I can't believe I can't get it that high anymore because I've seen 188 on the bike within the last 2 years. That should put my running MHR over 190. Maybe when I do more speed work, I'll get it up there.

Friday was a swim with Longhorn Aquatics. It was OK. I think I like T3 more, but the facilities at UT are awesome. Coach Whitney told me that I was pausing too long and losing momentum. I tried swimming differently and it felt like I was just flailing my arms around. I finally found a stroke where I wasn't losing momentum but felt a lot better for me. I was also faster because of it too. However, I couldn't put my shoulder under my chin like Maurice was trying to teach me. Having 5 coaches in 2 years has caused me to learn how to swim depending upon who is watching. There were some speed sets today. Those were fun. However, on the last 50m sprint, as soon as I dove into the water, my calf cramped up. That was pretty much the end of my practice because after that, my calf wasn't feeling good. Also, my right calf was hurting pretty badly from the run the night before. I need to get on the TP massage ball and work it out this weekend. Oh, the UT pool was set up for 50m long course and that was fun swimming that. The water was great and clear. Very nice.

Now, does anyone have any opinions on why I should choose Longhorn Aquatics over T3? For one thing, when I swim with T3, I don't get parking tickets like I did this morning. I hate paying for parking and when I get a fucking ticket, man that's a major downer of my day.

But it didn't phase me that much today because I have some good news. I weighed in at 184 this morning. Holy shit! I'm really dropping weight now. How did I do it? I took a pretty big dose of starvation this week. Ok, not really, but I was definitely hungry a majority of this week. I think my feeling of "full" after I eat is probably larger than normal. What I've accidentally been doing and what I'll do on purpose next week is that except for breakfast, I'll always be a little bit hungry after whenever I eat. It probably isn't the healthiest, but I felt fine this week and I'm losing weight. This weekend I need a break though and I'll probably drink a lot. I just need a day to cut loose and it's going to be tomorrow after I get all my workouts in for the day. Should be fun.

I went grocery shopping tonight. I got a bunch of groceries since I'm going to make some large batches of food. I'm going to make some black bean lasagna and then make my couscous/quinoa mixture with some Unbelievable Chicken Marinade. Man, that stuff is good.

Now, it's time for bed since I have to be up at 5:30 to run.

1 comment:

-Brandon said...

E...
Naturally, since I swim with TXLA/UT, I think that they have the best program. As long as it fits into your schedule, I don't think that you will get better workouts. There is also a wide range of people who swim there, so moving up or down in lanes is not going to be a problem. And, the facility is great. Whitney is a great coach and can pick up a flaw if you aren't 'on' that day and give you something to work on.
-B

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here