Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Long Update

Ok, I have a lot to write and not much time. Let's begin.

They reposted the results from The Rookie with the transition times split out. Here is how I did:

Swim - 5:20.6 - 1:47/100m pace - 5th in AG - 66th overall
T1 - 1:15.1 - NA - 3rd in AG - NA
Bike - 31:55.2 - 20.9mph - 2nd in AG - 25th overall
T2 - 1:13.1 - NA - 15th in AG - NA
Run - 14:28.2 - 7:14min/mile - 14th in AG - 82nd overall

It still holds true that once I get off the bike, I get in trouble. I was 4th in my AG, and 36th overall out of 701 people that finished so top 5% isn't bad.

Monday was a rest day. Tuesday was an hour long swim in the morning and then a run at night. After the warmup, I did 3 x 1 mile repeats. My times were 7:20, 7:08, and 7:14. I was really tired that 3rd one. After that, we did 2 x 900m repeats with times of 4:02 and 4:07 and once again, I was tired. Both of these loops were not flat and were actually quite hilly so I'm happy with these times. Also, this was my first run in my new Nike Air Pegasus and they felt fine. I also asked my coach to critique my run form and luckily, what I thought I was doing correctly and incorrectly is what he saw as well. I am a midfoot striker. It seems a lot easier in the Pegasus because I think they have a shorter heel than the 1060s. I'm also landing my feet underneath me and not out in front of me or behind me. These things are good. However, I am doing some things incorrectly. I think I'm leaning forward slightly but what is happening is that I'm bending forward at the waist instead of the ankles. I've been trying to correct this but running this way really feels awkward to me. Also, when I get tired, my head moves back and I need to move it forward and tuck my chin slightly. This will help move my center of gravity forward which will help the forward lean. I didn't do any barefoot running, but I did go soak in Barton Springs for 10 minutes and that felt great. Today's workout was 75min spin with 10x1min fast, 1 min easy. Yeah, those sucked. I'm getting tired so I think I'll sleep in tomorrow and go to the evening swim practice instead of the one at the butt crack of dawn. Also, I'm really dehydrated since the temp yesterday was about 92 degrees. I peed this morning after my workout and it was about the consistency of sand.

Ok, that wasn't so long.

Nike shoe mileage: 6.5 miles

3 comments:

Dances with Corgis said...

Yeah, you know, I start reading, scroll down, and think to myself, huh, this really *isn't* that long, what is he talking about? :)

Ugh sounds like a pain on your running form. I think if I had anyone "critique" me, I would completely overanalyze it and get even more messed up.

Me said...

Here's the thing that I learned. Trust your coach. I still do it and sometimes I like doing it and sometimes I don't but I still "cheat" on my coaches and get advice from other people. Running isn't so bad since it seems that there aren't as many different forms of running. However, with swimming, every single person I have asked to help me with swimming has told me something different. Luckily, I'm with one masters program and I'm rebuilding my stroke according to what they think is a good stroke. I like their style though but it takes time getting used to it.

So, back to my point. Trust your coach and what they have to say about your form.

Robert said...

Hi,
See my comment down a couple of posts.
Best,
Robert

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here