Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sunday Workouts & More Rookie Tri Analysis

Today, I had my long run. I did 2 laps around Town Lake for a total of 8.2 miles. The first lap felt pretty good which is odd considering I usually fee better the second lap. Once I started on the 2nd lap, I started feeling crappy. I took a HammerGel at a water stop and felt better after that. I saw Sophie & her boyfriend Dave, Cam, and Shelly so it was quite a social run. Total time was 1:07:32 for a pace of 8:14min/mile. Average HR was 151bpm. First lap was 33:42 at 145bpm with the second lap 33:49 with 158bpm. I didn't feel like I was going that much harder though. I know the second lap I was trying to concentrate on my form more and picking up my knees more. I noticed that whenever I concentrate on form, my heart rate tends to go up a bit, but I don't feel that bad. Afterwards, I decided to go to the Austin High track and try something. I keep hearing about how barefoot running will really help you fix your form because if you get lazy running barefoot, it'll hurt. So, my shoes and socks came off and I did 2 laps in the grass on the inside of the track. It was cool. I may try it some more in the future. My feet hurt a bit at first but I changed my stride a bit and it didn't feel as bad. I tried to land with more of a flat foot or more on the balls of my feet instead of my heel. Overall, I had a good run today. Oh, and my New Balance 1060s are officially retired after today.

Later today, I rode on the trainer for 90 minutes doing an easy ride watching a movie. Nothing special about it. Well, that was about it for today.

Now, a little more about The Rookie Tri. Average heart rate was 159bpm. Swim average was 155bpm. Bike average was 158bpm with a max of 174bpm. Run average was of 163bpm with a max of 168bpm. Here's the deal. The 174bpm on the bike was nothing. The 168bpm on the run was torturous. I can push harder on the bike than I can on the run and that isn't right. I'm still happy with the race though.

Shoe mileage: 361.5 miles
Weekly run mileage: 22 miles (I actually got 20+ miles in this week!)

6 comments:

A Margarita said...

You're motivating me to log my mileage.

An 8:15 pace is pretty amazing for 8 miles.

Me said...

It pays off to log my mileage. I'm injury prone, especially with running injuries, because I'm slightly bigger so I have to be really careful to watch out for when injuries start acting up. That's why I log my mileage. Also, I'm an engineer so having numbers and analyzing them makes me sleep better at night.

Thanks for the comment about the pace. I've been working on it for months now trying to get my running form back.

mcoker said...

You might try the Nike Free's if you want to simulate barefoot running and build foot strength on your normal runs. I looooove those shoes.

Me said...

I should go pick up a pair of Frees. Well, I've been meaning to but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I was actually thinking about getting a pair of Vibram FiveFingers and/or some Frees but I'll probably get some Frees and use them as everyday shoes to mimic barefoot walking whenever I can. I think the benefits of barefootedness are good and I try to walk around barefoot whenever I can.

Robert said...

Hi,
I say give up triathlon and focus on bike racing. I quit tri's in 2005, and I've never looked back. I didn't know what I was missing.
best,
Robert

Me said...

Good suggestion. I know someone else that is doing that. However, I don't think I could do that. I love running too much even though I'm not that fast at it. Plus, I like the cross training aspects of tri training and if I get bored with one sport, I can do another instead.

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here