Wednesday, May 9, 2007

My shoes are flat

Well, I went on a 7 mile run with Texas Iron last night. That would put my shoe mileage at 346.5 miles at the end of the run. In the middle of the run, my metatarsals started hurting. I also noticed that my shoes just felt flat like the cushioning had really broken down. My feet are a little sore today as well. Luckily, I ordered new shoes this past weekend. The problem is they won't be here until the end of next week at the earliest. I have 2 choices. I can either get a pair of Nike Air Pegasus and start running in them without breaking them in first (I usually break in a pair of shoes by wearing them as daily shoes for a week) or I can put up to 50 miles on my current shoes until I get the new ones. I think I'm going to go to RunTex today and get a pair of Nikes and start breaking them in. They should be go to go for running on Tuesday of next week then. Running in my current shoes is just too much risk for injury especially since my metatarsals are sore today and I have had 2 incidences of bruised mets last year. Also, from now on, once my shoes get down up to 250 miles, I'll go ahead and buy another pair and have them broken in and ready once the others hit 300-350 miles.

Our workout last night was a 15min warmup. Then, we did 3 loops that were about 1 mile long. About .8 miles were hard and then the last .2 was an easy jog. I did 4 of them. The times were 4:56, 5:20, 5:17, and 5:17 for the hard parts of the loop. Obviously, I went out too fast, but I kept my pace for the last 3. Then, it was another 15 minute cooldown back to the cars.

I swam yesterday morning. I was late and just started off on a bad foot and I couldn't get in a rhythm. Once I got warmed up, I owned my lane, but it wasn't fun swimming with 7 people in a 25m lane. I also swam this morning. I cut it early because I was just tired from swimming yesterday as well. My pace and my form were falling off pretty badly right before I cut it short. I really need to keep up with the swimming since I still feel pretty awkward in the water. I need to concentrate on one thing and when I get it perfected in 2-3 weeks, I'll find something else to concentrate on. I don't feel smooth at all and my form is pretty erratic as well. I'll get there though.

Also, my focus right now is to get better at running. Then, swimming is the next focus and cycling I'll just do since it's my strong sport.

I also had spaghetti for dinner last night. After successfully avoiding it for about 4 months now, I let it back into my house. Hopefully, I won't go back to my old habits of eating it 4 nights a week.

Shoe mileage: 346.5 miles

3 comments:

A Margarita said...

Awesome! You're like really on top of your training. Your approach is almost scientific. I'll be running my first marathon in November; I need to start getting my act together.

(Sorry. I know I'm random. I found you by clicking Next Blog at the top of the page. )

mcoker said...

Hah. Spaghetti is to you as Peanut butter is to me. I can't keep it in the house, or like 3k calories of delicious fat & protein are gone in about 10 minutes. Mmmm... the roof of my mouth is getting sticky just thinking about it....

Me said...

No, peanut butter is a whole different level to me that I cannot possibly resist. I eat a huge jar in less than a month and that's me holding back, too.

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here