Sunday, July 8, 2007

I was so thirsty that I drank the pool water and it was good!

Yes, I drank the pool water today. On purpose. And it was very, very refreshing. But let's back up a bit. This morning was my usual long run. I was suppose to 1:45 today and I did about that. It was closer to 1:50 or so. I stopped my watch at one point and forgot to start it again. Either way, it was my longest run since IMFL. I did a total of 12.3 miles as well. It was hot and I tried to stay on top of my hydration, but I only peed once during the run. On a good note, nothing really hurt during the run so my hip issues are going away. I felt them a bit, but not much. While I was running, I realized that I've done only 5 runs that have been a half marathon or more. I did two half marathons last year, a half Ironman, a 14.5 mile training run, and then Ironman Florida. Wow, that's really not that many long runs. I started thinking about this because I know that I have a 2 hour run next Sunday which will put me over 13.1 miles. Also, I run so much faster in a race than I do on my training runs because my heart rate was really high again today, but I was able to keep moving today. Also, I've been running relatively injury free for 6 months now. That is the longest injury free stretch that I've had in my entire life. I'm quite happy about that.

OK, that go way off track. I did a 12.3 mile run today and I was suppose to do a recovery swim of 60 minutes afterwards. I wasn't going to swim 60 minutes, but I'll still do a swim. I headed over to Deep Eddy, showered off the sweat and jumped in. Like I've said before, it's a spring fed pool that is about 68-70 degrees. I'm not used to cold water but this water felt so good after the heat of Austin. I just did 6x200yds and called it quits. On the first lap, I was dying of thirst from the run. I was completely tired and hot and dehydrated. The water was very cool and refreshing. So, I opened my mouth and swallowed a gulp. Oh, it tasted so good. It was as refreshing in my mouth as it was swimming. I just needed a drink of water pretty badly and the pool water was just wonderful. Yes, I know that it's disgusting and people pee in it and all that stuff, but I needed water at that point and I was surrounded by it. I probably wouldn't have done it in a chlorinated pool but this fresh water pool was just what I needed. I finished my very easy 1200 yards and now I'm home. I'm exhausted and I don't want to move for the rest of the day, but I know that I'll have to.

Ok, some random thoughts now. My injuries are clearing up it seems. I've been injury free for about 6+ months now. There were a ton of women not wearing bras at Town Lake today. Town Lake looked like a fast moving river with some rapids in a few parts because of the flooding. I have a blister on my big toe on my right foot that every pair of shoes gives me. I need to start putting Body Glide on my crotch when I do long runs. I think my form is getting better and it's getting more natural so that I maintain my form when I get tired.

New Balance mileage: 59 miles
Nike mileage: 59.5 miles
Weekly run mileage: 16.5 miles

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Wow, I would do that in a chlorinated pool way before doing it in a fresh water pool. Let me know when you need a prescription for the giardia

;-)

Jodi

Me said...

The fresh water tastes so much better than chlorinated water. No abdominal cramps or runs yet so I think I should be OK.

mcoker said...

my dog drinks from the toilet and can outrun me. maybe you guys are on to something...

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here