Saturday, August 18, 2007

I actually had a good workout today!

I've been trying to ramp up my long workouts on Saturday lately because I have a half Ironman in about 6 weeks or so. Today's workout was a 3.5 hour easy bike followed by a 50 minute brick run. Well, I did all of it. I've been bagging the workouts or cutting them short lately for various reasons. It was important for me to actually complete a workout and I did it today. I went for a ride leaving at 8:00 this morning. The fucking weather.com website lied to me. They said there was only a 10% chance of rain. Well, it rained on me for pretty much 30 minutes into the ride until 1:30 into the ride. It wasn't that bad riding in the rain. The problem with riding in the rain is if you have glasses on, it's nearly impossible to see. If you don't have glasses, the rain hurts like hell. Finally, it cleared up. When I rode long the last time a few weeks ago, I hit a wall about 3 hours into the ride. Today, there was no wall at all and I think that's a good sign. I came home and had gotten in a total of 4:05. I went for a run and it hurt. But the important thing is that I kept running. I ran the entire time that I was suppose to run though. I got back in about 50 minutes which was a very good thing. When I run, I don't have access to any fluids. I only had 5 bottles on the bike when I should've had close to 8. I wasn't cramping, but it got H-O-T towards the end of my run. The sun came out and the wind died down. When I left my house, the idiots at weather.com said it was 90 degrees and there was a heat index of 104. I felt it the last 10 minutes of the run. I was getting in bad shape. I was light headed and I would get cold flashes. My hands and arms were tingly, but I kept going. Once I finished, I didn't feel that great because the dizziness and tingling continued for about 10 minutes. I started feeling better and had a smoothie. Seriously, I'm really happy that I got the entire workout done today and that I powered through the heat on the run and didn't give up at all.

New Balance mileage: 99.5 miles
Nike mileage: 123.5 miles

EDIT: I wanted to add some other things. I trudged through the run at 9:05 miles, but it worked. I ran a total of 5.5 miles today. At first, my knees were sore, not still, but they loosened up as I ran. I felt good about 10 minutes into the run until about 35 minutes into the run. This is something that I should expect in the future. I also came home and took about a 2 hour nap. This was one of the naps where I was on my couch trying to type up the post and the next thing I know, I'm rolling around on the couch waking up 2 hours later. I guess I needed sleep.

No comments:

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here