Friday, July 28, 2006

Another Overdue Update

I can't remember when I posted last. I think it was Monday. Monday was a short (75min) spin and then the J&A core workout that night. Tuesday was a 5 lap swim at Barton Springs with some sprints thrown in. Those hurt. Afterwards was a 40min aquajog. Wednesday was a swim at The Dick (aka Dick Nichols pool). I did 400 warmup, 3x800 pull, swim, pull, 200 cooldown. It was a good swim because I felt strong on the long intervals. No J&A workout because I wasn't feeling well later that day, but I did get my new cleats adjusted.

Thursday deserves it's own paragraph. I was suppose to do a run in the morning, but I skipped that because of my foot issues. However, there was a Texas Iron time trial on the Mopac (aka Autobahn) loop. This is the same course that Run-Far puts on once a month. The last time I did this course, I came in at 20:13 for a speed of 23.7mph. I kicked the course's ass last night. I came in at 19:45 for a speed of 24.3mph. Also, there was a very strong wind and Jamie said that it was the toughest conditions he's ever seen at a TT on that course. I had Chris Spencer pass me but after that, he slowly pulled away from me. I passed everyone that started in front of me. I went out strong, but not too strong. I powered up the first hill and that was when the pain started to hurt. I was also getting blown around a lot by the wind. At the turn around, it was tough because I was now heading back into the wind. If the course is going to be windy, I prefer it to be like the wind today. A strong tailwind helped me going out since it's uphill, but the headwind coming back wasn't as bad because it was downhill. Yes, I had to pedal harder but the gentle slope down helped. About half way back, I was starting to hurt a bit mostly with a beating heart that was about to explode through my chest. The last time I did this TT, I was hurting really badly at the turnaround. By the finish line, it took everything to get my across the line. This time around, I had enough juice to pop it into a 54-13 gear and power up the last hill. I was throwing my bike around so hard that my front wheel was popping off the ground. I finished the TT and I new I had a great ride. I was hoping for something under 20 minutes and I got 19:45 and I was 6th overall and only 60 seconds behind the 1st place guy. I think next time I can cut about 20 seconds off my time. Also, I had absolutely nothing special like race wheels or an aero helmet so I consider my performance on Thursday quite a good one and I'm happy with it, but I can always do better.

No comments:

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here