Thursday, October 12, 2006

Pushing it

Yesterday's spin bike workout was boring. Did some 1 legged drills and a couple of 1 min fast sprints. I got my heart rate up to 168 though. A lot of my workouts are going to get more and more boring as I get closer to IMFL. Some speed work and most of it is easier stuff. To keep my blog more lively, I'll be posting on more of the psychological aspects of training instead of posting my workout sets.

And here is the first one. I went to the J&A core workout yesteday. It was the last one before I do IMFL. My coaches want me to start tapering soon. Well, I had one hell of a workout. I did 8 chinups on my own. But before that, I was pushing myself on the ab exercises. We started out doing 250 flutter kicks. As usual, I felt like my core was weak so I would start stopping and resting after 30 of them. I kept challenging myself to go to where I think it would hurt the most and then do 5 more. At one point, I did 25 straight flutter kicks without stopping and they were number 165 to number 190 as well when I was really tired. Then, after a few other exercises, Haung and I were pushing each other on the scissor kicks where we did 100. Both of us were tired, but start at #66, we finished out the set without resting for 34 straight scissor kicks. I didn't think I had it in me. What I found is once you reach the point that if you go --> <-- that much more, you are going to die from the pain, it doesn't get any worse. If wasn't like the pain kept building. It was just a test of how long could I endure the pain and I found that I could endure it for a decent amount of time. I knew that it wasn't going to hurt any worse than the pain I was in and the pain was tolerable, so let's now focus on maintaining this pain. This is something that I need to apply more to my swimming, biking, and running as well because I do the same thing in those disciplines as well. I just need to learn to not back down from the pain but just to endure it and I'll get stronger, faster, and better a lot quicker.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Great core workout! I have to try those. I think increasing your ability to handle pain is the key to Ironman success!

;-)

Jodi

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here