Sunday, October 29, 2006

Ran 66 Minutes

I ran 66 minutes today. I did 2 2.9 mile loops around Town Lake plus a little bit extra. On average it was something like 11min/mile which is slow, really slow. The weird thing is that I didn't feel like I was actually running that slow so something is probably off. I didn't have my HRM strap on because I was a dumbass and left it at the bike shop yesterday. I really needed it today so I could see how my pace vs my heart rate was. Oh well.

From today's run, Florida is going to be interesting. My left foot hurt and I now know that it *will* hurt at IMFL. It's not the 3rd met head anymore and it's more like the 3rd toe bone. It's really weird. It hurts, but not that bad and I may get a bone scan in December after I recover from IMFL and if the toe bone still hurts when I start running again. With that said, I'm not worried about the foot the most. What I'm worried about the most is my knees. Both of them started aching today. It wasn't a lot of pain, but pain on the medial side of each knee with the right one being worse. I'm going to keep a couple of those knee straps in my special needs bag on the run in case it starts to hurt. I haven't used one of those in years, though. I would really like to tape up my knee, but I know that tape doesn't stick very well if you are already wet, sweaty, and covered in sunscreen. Pretty much every upper leg muscle started hurting about 40 minutes into the run. Hamstrings were bad at the beginning of the run but got better as I ran more. Towards the end, the upper quads and hip flexors were hurting the most.

I thought that the run wouldn't be so bad considering how I've felt on my 30min runs lately, but I guess the pain starts to happen at about 40min into it for me. Next Saturday will be interesting.

Also, somehow, I'm an engineer that can't do math and today is 6 days away and tomorrow when I wake up will be 5 days.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Don't you just hate knees? If it's not one thing it's another- at least for me. I'm not sure about your stretching routing, but I've found if I stretch my hip flexers and my groin muscles it alleviates a lot of my tendon pain. I try to do about 5 minutes of stretching every morning, before runs, and every night. Might be worth a shot.

Sounds like the race will take a lot of mental toughness. Prepare in advance to "dig deep". Find something that really drives you and let it carry you through the pain. Don't lose sight of your goal. Your aerobic base and fitness will get you to that finish line. Don't let your mind tell you otherwise!!

Jodi

Me said...

I've actually done less stretching lately and I've been feeling better. I almost never stretch before running because I don't think it's effective stretching cold muscles. THat's just me though.

I do realize that the biggest challenge of this race is mental, not physical. I found out at Buffalo Springs what happens when my mind gives up so I know what it feels like now.

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here