Sunday, October 1, 2006

Friday & Saturday

I really need to start posting every day and on the day of a workout.

Friday, I was suppose to do a 75min swim but couldn't fit it in. Oh well.

Saturday was actually a great workout for me. I met Meg with some people from T3 (yeah, yeah, I know that they are the "other" triathlon group), but I like riding with other people from time to time. I left from my house and met them at Kiker Elementary School. From there, we did about 60 miles which consisted of the Dam Loop. I really wasn't looking forward to the Dam Loop because I wanted to do some flats. Also, it seems like the Dam Loop kills my legs every time. Well, we went out and I was taking it really easy. I wasn't pushing myself up the hills (yet). The weather was great and I was just on a nice, easy base ride. I kept my heart rate low and my cadence high. I hit a new personal speed record going down 2222. I hit 51.6mph. Wow, it was scary today, too. I had a lot of wind buffetting me around and that was pretty hairy. As usual, there was the Texas Wind from the southeast that made going east or south a total bitch. The Dam Loop protected us from a lot of it, but once we turned south on 360, it was back. I learned something today. I actually spun up the hills. I just put myself in a bigger cog than usual and tried to keep my cadence up. Of course my heart rate went up, but it seemed more controlled and less like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. I think this helped save my legs and my heart for the rest of the ride. I did power up one hill, though. The hill on 360 going south on 360 after the bridge. It's a nice long, steady climb and I dropped everyone on it. I got my heart rate up to 170 and held it there for a couple of minutes. I thought I was going to blow up but I didn't. I just held it there constant and get spinning up the hill. I dropped everyone. I had one person catch up to me at the stoplight and that's it. I just felt like showing that hill who's the boss. After that, I took the hills a lot easier since I was only abotu 50 miles into a century. We headed back to Kiker and had to battle the wind pretty much the entire way, but we got back without incident.

That reminds me, at one point I was behind Meg. I noticed something and then said "Meg, I can see your ladybug." Meg has this tattoo of a ladybug on her butt and when riding behind her yesterday, I could see it. That was absolutely the funniest thing that happened yesterday and I made her totally selfconscious about it as well. Her biking shorts were pretty old and you could see through them.

After I left Meg and then, I went back to my house to fill up on fluids. I was at least 1 water bottle behind when I left so I was getting worried. I didn't get dehydrated because it wasn't that hot for most of the ride. I still took down a half of liter of water when I got back to my house and then filled up 2 more bottles for the remaining 30 miles. The last 30 miles was a battle against the headwind and then some fun with the headwind. Coming back home I was pushing a biggish gear at 90rpm going 28mph. My heart rate was at 145 and I felt fine. I got back in my neighborhood and rode around a bit. I pulled into my driveway with 100.16 miles down for the day. Total ride time was 5:37 and I averaged 17.8mph. Not fast at all, but I was suppose to go easy and it was hilly and windy so I'm happy. And once I got off the bike, I felt fine.

After that, I went for a 60min aquajog at Barton Springs. I then search all of Austin for some breakfast tagos. Tacodeli was closed after 3pm, Rudy's stops selling them at 10am, and Taco Cabana stops selling them at noon. Bastards! I had a burrito from Taco C instead. I then got my Saturday milk shake from Amy's. I went home and ate half a bag of Central Market veggie chips. I was still hungry and craving pizza so I ordered Papa John's. I know it was bad, but I was crazying in really badly and since I burned probably glose to 4500 calories that day, I deserved it. I was exhausted for the rest of the day though, but surprisingly not that exhausted. I really think I'm almost ready for IMFL.

I think I forgot to post about Thursday. Went out with Texas Iron and did some hard bike intervals. I talked with Jamie and he trusts my LT and VO2max numbers but he thinks that my LT is actually higher that what was tested. His reasoning is that my performance at Buffalo Springs and the bike time trials don't match up with my LT numbers that I'm getting. Basically, my tests results are confusing and even though I wanted to use these results to pace myself for IMFL, I don't think I can right now. Sucks, but I'll deal with it. I'll just go off of feel and I think keeping my heart rate in the 145-150 range is probably well below my LT and should be good for me for Florida.

Oh, only 33 days away now.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Wow, sounds like a great training day! I think pizza is a really great post workout food. My coach actually has recommended I use it as a pre-race meal for Ironman as well. No complaints from me!

Jodi

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here