Sunday, October 8, 2006

Update

Wow, it's been 3 days since the last update. Not cool.

Thursday was a bike workout with Texas Iron. Well, everyone else did a brick workout but since I'm not running on land at the moment, I just did the bike. However, I made an important find. My front wheel is loose. It's been loose for a few weeks but I didn't think anything of it until today. I asked Jamie and Fish about it and they looked at it. What had happened is that it looks like the ends of the hub that hold in the axle came loose. So, the body of the hub was bouncing against the ends of the hub. Jamie tightened down the ends of the hub, but he let me borrow his wheel just to be safe. He wasn't going down some hairy hills like I was. I did 2 loops easy and then 2 loops hard. I had 8 minutes rest between each hard loop. I was doing the slow loops in about 12 minutes but doing the fast ones in about 9:30 so I was going pretty hard when I was going hard. On the last loop, my heart rate topped out at 179. At this point, I tried to keep my heart rate up above 170 just to see how long I could keep it there. I did a cooldown loop and then I went to Rache'ls to watch Grey's Anatomy.

Friday was a rest day but even after pigging out and having about 3 too many cookies at Rachel's, I weighed in at 180 in the morning.

Saturday was a 5 hour ride. I did about 91 miles in 4:53 for an average of 18.5mph. Average heart rate was 133bpm with a max of 164bpm. I did some hills so that slowed me down and caused my heart rate to be somewhat higher. I was in my HRM's Z3 (147-156bpm) for a total of 39 minutes and HRM's Z4 (157-175bpm) for only 6 minutes. The rest was below 147bpm with 50% of my time under 136. This was suppose to be a base ride and it was. Afterwards, I went for an aquajog at Barton Springs. This was the first time in a long time that I was actually cold in the water. I usually get used to it after a few minutes, but I was in the water for 45 minutes and I was freezing the entire time. I cut the run short by about 15 minutes. Came home and ate some food.

What I noticed today was that about 80 miles into the ride was the point that my legs started to get tired. It also seemed like I wasn't keeping my cadence up as well and was doing a lot of time under 90rpm's. I still have a lot to figure out before IMFL but I think I have the time. Well, there will be other IM's and I will learn a lot after the race and figure out what else I need to do differently for my next IM.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Wow, sounds like a great training weekend. You deserved the extra cookies. Are you testing out the land running this week? Good luck!

Jodi

Me said...

No land running yet. I'll probably try it out on Tuesday and I'll excitedly post on here how it goes. I still have to aquajog and swim today so my training weekend isn't over yet. Speaking of, I need to get my lazy butt off the couch and down to Barton Springs. It's beautiful outside today.

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here