Monday, October 30, 2006

I'm a genetic freak

Before I explain to you how I'm a genetic freak, let me give you some numbers. Today, was my official race weight day. After this morning, I start carbo loading and my weight will definitely increase. I also go my body fat checked. This is the same guy that does it every time and we also do the same procedure: weight is in the morning without food or fluids and after any bodily waste evacuations, calipers in the morning with no exercise. There should be little variance in these testing procedures.

Here's the data from when I was measured on 19 JUL 2006:
Chest: 11
Abs: 18
Thighs: 13
Total: 42
Weight: 180 lbs
Body fat: 12.2%
lbs fat: 21.96
lbs lean: 158.04

Now, here's the data from today:
Chest: 11
Abs: 15
Thighs: 12
Total: 38
Weight: 180.5 lbs
Body fat: 11.3%
lbs fat: 20.4
lbs lean: 160.1

Now, looking at these numbers, it would seem that I'm doing a pretty good job at lifting weights and putting on some lean mass and muscle. However, I'm training for a freaking Ironman! Over the course of the last 3 months, my weight has pretty much stayed the same with a +/- 2lb swing. Most people that I know lost a decent amount of weight while training for an Ironman, especially in the peak of training like me. They lose fat as well as muscle. However, I'm the one in a million genetic freak that actually put on 2 lbs of lean mass while Ironman training. What the fuck? That is *NOT* suppose to happen. And it makes sense because I feel stronger as well. I do some LSD training. I try to have a calorie deficit every day. I eat a lot of carbs and not that much protein. What happens? I should be losing muscle and losing weight overall, but my weight is stagnant but I converted 2 pounds from fat into muscle. What the hell is up with my body? The good thing is that I'm down to 11.3% body fat and that does make me happy. I just wish I had less mass so that I could run better.

Otherwise, I'm not getting excited about IMFL. I just took an Ambien to get some sleep I'm that excited. We'll see if it works tonight. I have most of my stuff packed up already. I need to get a few more things tomorrow and then I'm ready to head to Florida. I'll be out of here at 7am.

Oh, one thing that I noticed. Whenever I'm about to go on vacation, especially right before a race where I should be sitting on my ass resting all day long and not working much because I'm getting 10 hour of sleep every night, work picks up. I had to be in the fab for 3 hours today on my feet and my feet hurt now. I should be in bed now since I have to be up at 5:30 to be at work at 6:30. It's just frustrating and I'm desperately in need of a vacation.

And on that note, goodnight!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

The body is amazingly resistant to change. Your % bf is impressive! As much as I get my weight down, my scale still says I have 25% body fat. Hard to believe when you're 118 pounds. C'est la Vie.

Good luck this weekend!

Jodi

Me said...

You're scale is lying to you about your body fat. Try getting a caliper test done to get a better reading of your body fat. If you can get it, get a BodPod test or an immersion test is the best way to measure body fat.

My body fat% is getting low, but I don't feel like I'm under 12% and I don't think I look like I'm under 12%. I still have a decent amount of jiggly stuff around my stomach.

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here