Monday, May 8, 2006

Don't Eat This Book

Since I'm a health nut, I eat well. I like eating well and I love learning about the foods that I eat and how they affect my body. I'm pretty much an amateur dietician by now. I just can't get enough of it. Also, since I'm a triathlete, I like exercise and being not thin, but healthy. Overall, I just like being healthy. I'm seeing how obesity is affecting America and I don't want to be part of it. This is a whole different discussion, but I'll get to the point.

With the craze of "Super Size Me" by Morgan Spurlock, I watched it and loved it. This is also about the same time that "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlossler came out. The obesity scare in America has been increasing in the media over the last few years, but with "Fast Food Nation" and "Super Size Me" out in bookstores and movie theaters respectively, it was a lot easier for normal people to get a more indepth perspective of the fast food industry and other related industries.

Morgan Spurlock was the guy behind "Super Size Me" and he is the author of "Don't Eat This Book". Man, this guy has made it big. His movie was the 3rd highest grossing documentary. He decided to write this book, but I'm pretty sure that it was to cash in on the SSM bandwagon. It isn't bad, but it's obvious that he did this. This is evident in the book because about 50% of the content in this book is very, very similar to SSM. Well, he refers to it a lot, but it's also good because he expands upon a lot of stuff. What I think he did was wait a few years, take some ideas from the fallout of the movie, and use this book to expand upon some things.

Overall, I liked the book. It was preaching to the choir, but I liked it. There are some things that I disagree with in the book, but overall I think he's spot on about 95% of the time. It is definitely through the Morgan Spurlock style so it is fairly funny. He also uses a lot more facts in this book. Well, he used facts in SSM, but actually quoted them in DETB so I could easily believe whether or not they are from a source that I would consider reputable.

So, I recommend the book, but like everything, this is only one source and one opinion.

No comments:

 

Google Analytics Code Starts Here

Google Analytics Code Ends Here